Tuesday, October 23, 2007

There's no such thing as 'Gray Rape"

I was surprisingly impressed with this article from the Times. That is until I got to the comments. I'm constantly struck by people who absolutely do not understand what they're talking about. While ignorance may be rampant, when it comes to Rape, it's also dangerous. I come to work every day hoping that I can somehow figure out a way to reach these people into an enlightened consciousness. Yesterday, fortunately, I had a beacon of hope:

I was at a high school talking about Sexual Violence. We were discussing the fact that the majority of perpetrators of SV against not only women, but male victims as well, were men. Not just men, but heterosexual men. Illustrating that it's not about sex, it's about power, control, entitlement and the way that we have constructed masculinity. My co-facilitator made the suggestion that in the instance of hetero-identified men Raping gay-identified men could in fact be considered a hate crime. A boy in the class pipped up "isn't every Rape a hate crime?" and I remembered why I do this work.